Saturday, April 18, 2009

Inspiration: Favorite Movie?

It is almost a toss up with My Neighbor Totoro, but Totoro is veeery slow, and in the end, I like a little more action and humor, AND SINGING!

I will never ever ever get tired of watching The Lion King and I get very bored very quickly when it comes to repetition. It's almost as flawless a movie as I could hope for and more importantly, it's still exciting!
This sends chills and tremors through me:


The unapologetic nature of Scar is fantastic. He's scheming, but not very sneaky. The character flaws and naivety of the characters that surround him allow for his behavior, they just don't tap into what is going on at all, and it is hilarious! This also lets the performance be completely free and melodramatic. I love the absolutely annoying qualities of young Simba in this scene. I kind of want to push him off that cliff.



After Mufasa's death the way Scar deliberately echoes Simba's worst fears is soooo evil. It forces me to to want to like Simba because this guy, Scar, he's just awful, but I love the awfulness because it's so powerful. The clipped way Scar says "Kill him," is so good. Run baby lion!!!!! Get out of there! Also, just after Simba runs, the way Scar's expression is held, it's just wonderful. He looks like he's thinking, Well this is goin' perty darn good, and trying not to break yet. He still has to put on a show for everyone else.
Skip ahead to 7:25


One of the reason's I dislike Simba as a character is because he never makes his own decisions. He is given ideas, but is completely uncreative, and only follows through on what ideas others have placed in his mind. What makes him interesting at all is his growth towards becoming a responsible guy.


This makes me want to barf every time. Baaaaaaaaarf I say. I don't think it's bad, it just makes me cringe and avert my eyes. I don't deal well with romance. Having said that, I'm not saying that this part should be removed, it's very good. It might not be sparking the strong emotion out of me they hoped for, but it's still sparking a strong emotion. Can't really argue with that.


I like Nala, but she is so dumb. Or maybe she just wants to be in a relationship with a guy she can boss around and be smarter than? You can do better girlfriend!

What are you achin' for???


No comments: