Sunday, March 29, 2009

Time for ultra violets!







Pushing the values and cooling off the shadows with violet. I'm just sponging on color willy nilly. Acrylics dry quickly, but even when they are dry you still get a little work time. One sponge was used for putting on pure paint. A second sponge was blank but dipped in water which I used to tone down and erase through areas that got too dark. I'm trying to make the dragon's face and the fox the main focal points. Because I want the fox to stand out first he is going to be light colored on a dark background. The secondary point that is the dragon head will be dark on a light background, but also the contrast between dark and light won't be as pushed. The eye jumps to high contrast first. I'm going to do another sponging with a light color next to pop out that fox.

I've lost a lot of line work, I can't see much any more at all in areas. That's kind of scary. The image looks icky right now, but I think it'll be okay later. Sometimes you just gotta let the lines go, but that's hard.

Don't worry, just do it. Worrying is the destroyer, or rather:
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Oh also, I've been eyeballing Tony DiTerlizzi's work a lot for this project. I love the way his paintings turn out because you can tell he draws with the paint. It keeps it's life.

No comments: